City to host celebration of sport and recreation events to honour Women’s Month
The City of Cape Town’s Sport, Recreation and Amenities Department will celebrate women during August with a range of events throughout the month particularly on Women’s Day, Thursday 9 August 2012. Residents can participate in and support these events, which include walks, aerobics, tennis, and netball as well as various workshops.
“These events serve as an opportunity for men, women, boys and girls, to celebrate and acknowledge Women’s Day in a fun and healthy way. Whilst I want to encourage women to participate, I also want to encourage men and boys to join in on these activities to demonstrate solidarity with women and girls on this public holiday. This day is dedicated to highlight their contribution to our country and communities and their struggle for equality,” said the City’s Mayoral Committee Member for Community Services, Councillor Tandeka Gqada.
Only 11% of girls in South Africa play sport. This low percentage is the result of a number of social, cultural and political factors and reflects the attitudes that hold back gender equality and empowerment of girls and women. These scheduled events will illustrate that girls and women can empower themselves through sport. All media are welcome to attend the events listed below.
Artscape Women’s Arts Festival
A variety of exhibitions, discussion panels, plays, and support groups will be on offer at the Artscape Women’s Arts Festival, including an exhibition by the City’s Sport, Recreation and Amenities Department on 9 August 2012. The festival includes a photographic exhibition, healing concert, Pink Drive mammography tests and educational talks, theatre productions, gender equality discussions, a jazz concert, dance performances and workshops.
- RT @DuaneMario: @ICC Hou jou bek @ICC 1 week ago
- RT @DuaneMario: What, what is this? Why? @AngeloSchaffers @juliankiewietz @tyronne_cpt twitter.com/unitedgoals_/s… 2 weeks ago
- @van_butch Our people already shed blood, sweat and tears when the Apartheid Government illegally stole land and re… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 weeks ago
- RT @juliankiewietz: What an honour it was playing a game of cricket with @PaulAdams39 at the #BasilD'Oliviera #Schools #Cricket #Festival @… 1 month ago
- RT @C4F1: "If you want to build one - you build it like him" ⭐️ Here's what Niki Lauda has to say to #C4F1 about 4 x world champion @Lewis… 2 months ago