City assists in heavy Snowfall
The Provincial Disaster Management Centre (PDMC) of the Western Cape Government called an emergency meeting on Monday 16 July 2012 regarding the extreme weather events that occurred in the Province which resulted in various areas being affected by the heavy snowfalls experienced over the past weekend.
The snowfall that occurred in the Central Karoo District Municipality has resulted in approximately 120 people living on seven farms being isolated from civilization. Heavy rains also affected persons in the Murraysburg area.
The areas that were affected by the extreme weather conditions are:
1. Klawervlei (six families)
2. Matjiesfontein (unknown number of farm workers and two babies)
3. Modderdrift (three families)
4. Grootvlei (four families)
5. Renosterfontein (two families)
6. Matjiesvlei (three families)
7. Wittehart (10 families)
At the meeting the City of Cape Town was requested to assist the Western Cape Government and local municipalities in the Central Karoo District with logistical arrangements to provide humanitarian relief aid to the persons trapped in the mountainous areas of Beaufort-West.
The City indicated its willingness to support the Western Cape Government and the affected municipalities in the spirit of cooperative governance.
At 14:00 the City’s Disaster Response Team together with officials of the PDMC and the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) were dispatched from Cape Town to Beaufort-West with dry wood, food parcels, blankets, baby packs, lighting plants etc to aid the victims.
The team arrived in Beaufort-West at 20:00 and met with the local authorities to make arrangements for the humanitarian relief aid to be distributed to the victims.
- Heavy snow in South Africa (iceagenow.info)
- Snow and rain causes chaos across South Africa (sott.net)
- Flooding and heavy rains lash Cape Town- more on the way (sott.net)
Tags: Beaufort-West, Cape Town, Capetown, Central Karoo District Municipality, City of Cape Town, Extreme weather, Matjiesfontein, Province, South Africa, South African Social Security Agency, Western Cape
- RT @ZukoMntonintshi: Give this guy a Bells please #CountryDuty @tumisole We need more people like this gentleman https://t.co/ZK6EOxn61J 1 month ago
- RT @HOSMuzik: @YoungstaCPT freestyle https://t.co/TOlLmtCYUU 2 months ago
- RT @BarackObama: "...For love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite." - Nelson Mandela 2 months ago
- RT @BarackObama: "People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love..." 2 months ago
- RT @VusiThembekwayo: Growth entrepreneurs need real funding. Not franchise debt disguised as funding. It's time for funding revolution in… 4 months ago