City assists in heavy Snowfall
The Provincial Disaster Management Centre (PDMC) of the Western Cape Government called an emergency meeting on Monday 16 July 2012 regarding the extreme weather events that occurred in the Province which resulted in various areas being affected by the heavy snowfalls experienced over the past weekend.
The snowfall that occurred in the Central Karoo District Municipality has resulted in approximately 120 people living on seven farms being isolated from civilization. Heavy rains also affected persons in the Murraysburg area.
The areas that were affected by the extreme weather conditions are:
1. Klawervlei (six families)
2. Matjiesfontein (unknown number of farm workers and two babies)
3. Modderdrift (three families)
4. Grootvlei (four families)
5. Renosterfontein (two families)
6. Matjiesvlei (three families)
7. Wittehart (10 families)
At the meeting the City of Cape Town was requested to assist the Western Cape Government and local municipalities in the Central Karoo District with logistical arrangements to provide humanitarian relief aid to the persons trapped in the mountainous areas of Beaufort-West.
The City indicated its willingness to support the Western Cape Government and the affected municipalities in the spirit of cooperative governance.
At 14:00 the City’s Disaster Response Team together with officials of the PDMC and the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) were dispatched from Cape Town to Beaufort-West with dry wood, food parcels, blankets, baby packs, lighting plants etc to aid the victims.
The team arrived in Beaufort-West at 20:00 and met with the local authorities to make arrangements for the humanitarian relief aid to be distributed to the victims.
- Heavy snow in South Africa (iceagenow.info)
- Snow and rain causes chaos across South Africa (sott.net)
- Flooding and heavy rains lash Cape Town- more on the way (sott.net)
Tags: Beaufort-West, Cape Town, Capetown, Central Karoo District Municipality, City of Cape Town, Extreme weather, Matjiesfontein, Province, South Africa, South African Social Security Agency, Western Cape
- @thetruthspeak1 @Julius_S_Malema Stop talking bs you ignorant asshole 3 weeks ago
- @zarcitizen @Julius_S_Malema Yes you are correct but we will do that by taking back what is ours 3 weeks ago
- @daytraderclay @Bhejaane @Julius_S_Malema We will uplift our people by taking back what is ours. 3 weeks ago
- RT @DuaneMario: This is a moffie of the highest caliber. To harass a mother and children like that is unacceptable. #Spur #Moffie https://t… 2 months ago
- @ImAlimunawar @BLACKCAPS maybe so but if Steyn had played your team wouldn't have a partnership over 50 2 months ago