New Tablet Contender: Microsoft Surface
The next level tablet war.
With Apple’s iPad the undisputed king of tabs a host of other companies have been trying extremely hard to break its strangle hold of the market. Numerous Android based Tablets and Kindle’s Fire to name just a few.
Last night, Microsoft seemed to do the impossible, and made it look easy. Microsoft Surface was launched last night, in photography and film studio in LA. Can we conclude that the sleeping giant has finally arisen?
Hype aside, the Microsoft team have actually constructed two very innovative Tablets. Not like many of those seen recently. Tapping into their core strengths, and using the newly unveiled Windows 8 platform. It comes with some accessories you may normally have to purchase with other tablets, a cover that doubles as a keyboard and a kickstand. We might actually have something very interesting on our hands.
Not to say that it will crush the iPad but it may bring some clarity to a market dominated by a few.
Microsoft Surface for Windows RT specs:
- OS: Windows RT (aka, Windows on ARM)
- Display: 10.6-inch HD Display.
- Chip: Nvidia Tegra.
- Weight: 676 g (iPad 652 g)
- Thickness: 9.3mm (iPad 9.4mm)
- Ports: microSD, USB 2.0, Micro HD Video
- Software: Office 15, among other apps
- Battery: 31.5 watt-hour (iPad: 42.5 W-h)
- Configs: 32GB, 64GB
Microsoft Surface for Windows 8 Pro specs:
- OS: Windows 8 Pro (aka, Windows on Intel)
- Display: 10.6-inch HD Display: 16:9, 1920×1080.
- Chip: Intel Core i5 “Ivy Bridge.”
- Weight: 903 g
- Thickness: 13.5mm
- Slots: microSDXC, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort Video
- Battery: 42 watt-hour
- Configs: 32GB, 64GB, 128GB
Wonder when this will hit South Africa?